Thursday, September 9, 2010

Backdated post- June 28, 2010: Phishin… with kids?

Phishin… with kids?

This weekend David and I went to the Phish shows at Merriweather. With temperatures in the upper 90’s for most of the weekend, (it reached 101 at one point on Sunday afternoon) it was HOT and HUMID but also a ton of fun. I definitely took it easy whenever I could- I sat in the shade in the parking lot, I drank tons of water the whole day and when I was tired during the show, I sat down on our blanket and just enjoyed the music.

It was great to see Rick, the band is playing better than I have ever heard and we met some really cool people, but the best part of the shows was seeing David so happy. When they started to play a song he loves, he’d jump around and smile and dance and sing. I think the only other time I have seen him so happy was at our wedding. Even though it's hot out, I’m glad we could do this together.

I noticed there were actually a lot of children at the shows. Some parents brought a blanket to the crowded lawn and danced with their children, others stayed closer to the perimeter and pushed strollers around the venue. It made me think about whether or not it’s better to introduce this type of activity / behavior to children at such a young age. If they grow up going to shows, will they know what drugs are too soon? Will it ruin their innocence? Will it accelerate their curiosity or take away some of the allure? I t just makes me wonder.... is a Phish show an appropriate place for a child? I mean, these kids were safe and loved and happy- but they had no idea what was going on around them just a few feet away. They were just enjoying a concert with their parents. I guess I am seeing things through different eyes these days.

No comments: