Sunday, October 24, 2010

Improvements (mostly) around the house

We've been busy acquiring furniture and making some home improvements around the house. I will probably stop taking pictures of each and every little project soon, but for now I'm enjoying it and David (incredibly) still tolerates it.

This weekend, we hung up a door knocker we received as a housewarming gift. This project requited the use of power tools and excellent communication. We made it... somehow.


Powertools in action.
You can also see the mirror we hung that morning in the hallway behind David.


making adjustments to the door


come on in!

We've also started to work on the nursery. Last weekend we began paining the baby' room. We decided to cover up all the the blue with a nice neutral tan-ish, beige-y color. (I bet we will we feel silly if it's a boy!)


Painting over the blue walls

David did all the climbing on ladders but I helped out in the lower spots. And don't worry, it is low-VOC paint and we had every window wide open for extra ventilation!


The color is called 'Calm Air' do you feel calmer looking at it?


Step stool and drop cloths and paints and rollers and brushes...


Making progress

The job isn't complete yet; we have a few areas to touch up. Still, it seems to have calmed my intense nesting need for a few days. I will post more pics when we put up the rest of the pictures, etc on the walls.

Two weeks ago when David's parents were here, we bought an area rug for the living room. As I can't exactly lift furniture, Dov was able to help out with this project... while Fran and I supervised of course. Supervise and snap way too many pictures of their manual labor.


bringing in the rug


moving the furniture


unrolling the rug


moving the couches back


mission complete... happy wife... big thumbs up

That weekend we also put up some curtains in the living room.


curtains

The rod and hardware was left by the previous owner and it's a bit too high... we are going to lower it so the curtains reach the ground soon.


finished (for now) product
You can also see some of my Halloween decorations :)

So that's the progress we've been making on the house. I know we still have lots to get done, but it's all heading in the right direction and I'm very pleased. We've been to Home Depot A LOT and I think we could both use a break. I'm really looking forward to next weekend in Chicago with Brian and the Baeckers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The blue walls looked better