Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Beshaah Tovah

As we’ve started telling people about being pregnant, we have received a ton of excited congratulations, questions about whether or not I’m going to find out the sex of the baby, when am I due, where I am registered, etc.

One topic that often comes up is baby showers. A lot of people are surprised to hear that Jewish women don’t have baby showers. I always knew that it was mostly based on superstition- a “don’t count your chickens before they are hatched” kind of idea, but I wanted to learn more so I found this article which I found useful.

It basically says that as exciting as becoming pregnant is, nothing has really happened; pregnancy is a potential that is yet to be fulfilled. We would not throw a party for someone who had a good idea but has not yet followed it through. Traditionalists don't celebrate a pregnancy and will not even say Mazel Tov when a pregnancy is announced. Instead, they say Beshaah Tovah- which translates to “all should proceed at the right time.” Very religious/superstitious women believe it is not tznius (modest) to announce a pregnancy.

OK, so maybe my blogging isn't exactly modest but I'm new to all of this and I'm trying to find the right path between traditional and modern Judaism. I guess a baby shower is out, and I’m not going to run out and hire a decorator for the nursery just yet. Still, I think it’s perfectly ok to be excited about a really really good idea.

No comments: