Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Weekend In Suburbia And A Wizards Game

You know that Will Farrell quote from Old School… “Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time!”

That’s how I feel about this past weekend. It was very suburban and productive- but where did my weekend go?



On Friday night we had a nice dinner at Jace and Liz’s place. We met Mike and Kim, and of course had some wines. I don’t recall all of the bottles, but I know there was a wonderful (non vintage I think?) Pol Roger Champagne and a 2000 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

We had appetizers out on the deck and enjoyed the rest of the daylight and warm weather (finally!) before heading inside to have dinner and plan a future weekend at Jace and Liz’s river house in Rileyville, VA.



Check out Mike’s excellent food and wine blog. It has great tasting notes, restaurant reviews (Baltimore area) and pictures of their gorgeous dogs. We had a bottle of Pol Roger on David’s birthday in France- and this bottle brought us right back. It was kind of yeasty and toasty with sweet apples, honey, lemon and apricot. Light and perfect with our al fresco appetizers. I thought the Charbonnière had a lot of dark fruit, and a bit of earth and leather. A deep purple, David noted the tannins are starting to fade and it was unremarkable but enjoyable.

Our Saturday was packed. We both got awesome $14 haircuts at Hair Cuttery and went to Home Depot to pick up some silicone sealant glue and ceiling paint. I also had to go to the Verizon store to discuss my selectively self-muting cell phone. I think the problem is fixed, but if you call and can't hear me- please be patient. I am waiting it out another 3 months for my $100 rebate eligibility.

That evening we went into DC for a yummy dinner at Ful-Kee and the Wizards-76ers game.





We got to the game shortly before warm-ups ended. Our seats were fantastic (thanks Eric!) and had a fun time.



The Wizards beat Philly 109-93 and I decided that Gilbert Arenas kind of looks like actor Jesse Martin (Detective Green) from Law& Order. Maybe its the goatees.




Sunday was another day of errands and a continuation of the Kitchen Beautification Project. David reinforced the light fixture attachment to the ceiling and painted the ceiling.







We also settled on a contractor for the counters and floors, and picked out new appliances at Lowes.


Yes- I actually took a pic of David filling out the delivery contract for our appliances.









1 comment:

Michael said...

First off, it was great meeting you guys on Friday! The weather was nice (until the downpour), the wines were great, dinner was fabulous and the company couldn't be beat!

Second, I have to tell you that funny enough, Kim and I bought all new appliances this weekend as well (we're redoing our kitchen, too). We went with Home Depot though :P and all Maytag stuff!

That's all for now- we look forward to seeing you guys again soon.