Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving weekend. I know I sure did. Here’s my recap….



We drove to New Jersey after work on Tuesday. After spending some time with Fran the next morning, we arrived at my dad’s where turkey day prep was already well underway. We jumped right in with the slicing, baking, roasting and brining.


slicing apples for a pie


David and the magic dancing carrots

On Thursday morning we woke up early and got back to work. Mom brought over bagels and helped me set the table while David, Brian and Dad worked on the rest of the meal.


The turkey came out delicious!

My mom’s seven layer salad is something I look forward to all year. It is usually only served once a year after Yom Kippor but since we missed it earlier this year- it was brought back for Thanksgiving.



Leslie accomplished her task of replicating a classic restaurant bread basket




A picture of the whole table

Here is a recap of our extensive meal:
Black Mission Fig and Olive Tapenade on Crostini
David’s Seared Tuna with Cilantro Ginger Balsamic sauce
Pumpkin- Black Bean Soup with optional Sherry Shooter
Judy’s 7 layer salad
Roasted Turkey and Gravy
Chestnut, Mushroom and Apricot Stuffing
Grilled Italian style sausage with red and yellow peppers
Molasses Roasted Butternut Squash
String Beans Almandine
Roasted Beets with Oranges
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Spiced Maple Syrup Yams
Fresh Baked Corn Bread
Pickled Brussels Sprouts and Red Cherry Peppers
Judy’s Cranberry Relish
Pumpkin Beer
Several Delicious Desserts

I'm tired from just typing it all up! After we ate ourselves silly, we relaxed a bit and (of course) took more pictures!






It was great to see Devaki and Mallika again. Apparently, we all got the "only wear grey or black to dinner" memo. Thankfully, all of their family is safe in India.

On Saturday we went to Chinatown for lunch at David’s favorite restaurant, Joe's Shanghai. No visit to New York is complete for David without a stop at one of their three locations for their famous soup dumplings.



We ate lots of yummy food and walked around Chinatown for a while before heading to Long Island for my Ten-Year High School Reunion.



The reunion was a lot of fun- I will do a separate post about it later.

My mom took us shopping on Saturday for ski gear. Happy early Hanukkah to us! I got new gloves and David got new pants. We are going to be warm and stylin' in Vail this February!

After returning with our new gear, we spent most of the afternoon watching classic game shows on the Game Show Network. We watched a little bit of Card Sharks, Family Feud, Lingo, Who Wants to be a Millionaire and a new one I had never even seen before called Russian Roulette. I could have easily spent several more hours watching this channel but eventually we had to get off the couch and eat.



Saturday night we went out for a yummy seafood dinner with my brother, mom and grandparents at Riverbay Restaurant.

The next morning we said goodbye to my mom and grandparents and drove to Queens for breakfast with my dad and cousins Meg and Steve before the long drive home.

There were lots of good times and even more good food this weekend. We weren’t able to see as many people as we wish we could have- but we hope to make it up to them soon.

No comments: