Thursday, October 2, 2008

L’Shana Tovah

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week were Rosh Hashanah. Before I give my little recap, a bit of explanation...

In Hebrew, Rosh Hashanah means, “head of the year” and is commonly known as the Jewish New Year. It is the first of the Jewish High Holidays, and marks the beginning of the ten days of repentance that conclude with the holiday of Yom Kippur. Many Americans use the New Year as a time to make resolutions and plan for a better year. Likewise, the Jewish New Year is a time to begin introspection, looking back at the mistakes of the past year and plan changes.

Not everyone observes this holiday the same- but the common greeting is L'Shana Tovah (wishes for a good year). This is a shortening of L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem which means “May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year.” This refers to the belief that during Rosh Hashana, the three books of account are opened, and the fate of the wicked, the righteous, and those of an intermediate class are recorded. The names of the righteous are immediately inscribed in the book of life, and they are sealed to live. The middle class are allowed a respite of ten days, until Yom Kippur, to repent and become righteous. The wicked are blotted out of the book of the living.

Rosh Hashanah is characterized by several traditions; two most popular being the blowing of the shofar and eating apples dipped in honey.

The Shofar is made from a rams horn. It is a call to prayer and the only specific commandment for Rosh Hashanah. The Shofar is intended to awaken the listener from their “slumber” and alert them to the coming judgment. The apples and honey are a symbol of our wish for a sweet new year.


Apples and Honey from our table on Tuesday night

Fran and Dov came down to Maryland to celebrate and observe the holiday with us, and it was great to see them.



On Monday night, we were invited to Steve and Marilyn’s home for a delicious dinner. I didn’t take any pictures (gasp!) so you are going to have to trust me when I say we had a really great meal!

As with most holidays- after spending the day in synagogue, we return home for the festive meal. So on Tuesday night was our turn to host. David had been in the kitchen for days preparing for this amazing meal which included matzoh ball soup, roasted potatoes, asparagus and lamb.


Working on the soup


perfect lamb roast

As even came, I lit candles and said the bracha I’ve chanted with my family for years. Then we sat down and said the blessings over the wine and challah before digging into our the delicious dinner!




Challah cover from my great great grandmother



So now we begin the ten days of refection and repentance leading to Yom Kippur. In looking back and examining my own actions this past year, I know that I haven't been a perfect friend, daughter, wife and Jew. I’m not sure that’s even possible- but it is my hope that in the coming year I can make amends for mistakes I've made and build on the good habits and relationships I have developed.

I wish all of you a L’Shana Tovah, and pray that all of us have a sweet, happy and healthy New Year.



No comments: