Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thoughts about today...

I cannot believe it’s been seven years. I usually use this space to share exciting news, celebrate happy things and keep in touch with the people I love who David and I cannot see every day. But today I feel the need to post something about how I am feeling right now, and to commemorate the tragic events of September 11, 2001.



I'm usually sad but OK on this day. I watch the memorials on TV, re-read the newspapers clips I have saved from the days following the attacks and take a moment to think about my family. But for some reason, today I woke up feeling different. More melancholy I think. I want to erase this date from my calendar the way they skip the 13th floor in office buildings.

I don't know if it's because I'm married now and the thought of what it would be like to lose my husband absolutely gutted me, or because I heard “seven years” on TV and it still feels like it happened yesterday. I'm not sure.

This day means different things to different people. It meant something different to me last year than it did six years before, and it might feel differently to me next year. I just don’t know. What I am sure of, is that today I want to use this space to tell people I love that I am grateful to have them in my life.

I wish I lived closer, so I could tell you how lucky I am to have you.

No comments: