Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Recipe of the Month: Spicy Cole Slaw

I've started a new feature, the recipe of the month. I know what you are thinking, "Every Month? Let's see if she keeps this up" I really hope to- guess only time will tell.

If you have a favorite that you'd like me to post, send me an e-mail. In any case, I hope you enjoy making (and eating!) these as much as David and I do.....



Springtime brings some of my favorite things… fresh flowers, baseball games, an evening glass of Sauvignon Blanc and David’s spicy coleslaw. Here is the recipe…

First, you will need:

1 head green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 green onions, chopped
2 chiles, sliced
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup creole or whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Several dashes hot sauce (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Got everything? Now, you:

Combine the cabbage, carrot, red onion, green onions, and chiles in a large bowl.

In another bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar; stirring to incorporate.

Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss gently to mix. Season the cole slaw with celery seed, hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.

Chill for 2 hours in refrigerator before serving.

No comments: