Monday, June 16, 2008

Fathers' Day Weekend 2008

This weekend we headed north for Fathers' Day.

We had originally planned to spend the whole weekend with our dads, but David had to work on Saturday, so we ended up driving to New Jersey later that afternoon. A bit later than expected, we arrived in time for Fran’s home-made chicken parm dinner. (Delish!)

Afterwards, David and his dad relaxed and watched the Yankee game at home while Fran and I had a ladies night out. She took me to see Movin’ Out at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.



NJPAC is gorgeous, and before the show we enjoyed cocktails while Fran showed me around the building. Now, anyone who know me is aware that I am a HUGE Billy Joel fan, so 2 hours of listening to his music is always a good time- but I think I was a little thrown by my expectations. I was so excited, but was expecting something similar to Mamma Mia (a pop musical with dialogue) and got more of a rock ballet instead. Not a bad thing, at all- just not what I thought it was going to be.



During the show, all the vocals are performed (quite well I must add) by a pianist and band suspended on a platform above the stage while the dancers act out the narrative. Twyla Tharp directed and choreographed this show and I really love her work as well- so once I adjusted to the idea of the musical, I had a great night. The dancers are so athletic and graceful. The show had a creative storyline, wonderful dancing and of course, the great music- I had so much fun!

On Father’s Day we slept in a bit. I watched Meet the Press (so sad) while David and Dov started cooking. Then we cleared off the deck and took a few pictures before Dad and Leslie arrived.




the chefs at work





We had a really nice afternoon- we enjoyed some cheeses dad had brought over from Murray’s Cheese Shop. One of New York's oldest and best cheese shops, it has been around since 1940, and sells over 250 different varieties of cheese. Their selection represents cheeses from around the world including; France, Portugal, Holland, Italy, Ireland and the British Isles.



As well as stocking some of the most amazing cheeses in the city, Murray's has specialty groceries, fresh breads, olives, antipasto and charcuterie for sale. If we lived closer, we’d probably be there weekly.



We had a relaxing and tasty lunch of BBQ duck breast, smoked brisket with home-made sauce, salads, and knishes from the one and only Knish Nosh. By far, these are the best knishes in the universe, and I am so lucky that my dad lives only a block away from their store.



We were knish purists yesterday and only had the potato ones, but they also have spinach, pastrami, kasha, mushroom, broccoli, cabbage, and kosher pig-in-a-blankets knishes!

If you don't want to ride all the way out to Forest Hills to get the best knishes in the world, all is not lost. You can order some from their website, or by calling 1-877-NY-KNISH. Seriously, if you don’t love them, I will come over and eat your leftovers.





After lunch, the dads opened their presents and (of course) took some more pictures with us! They are such good sports.












Hangin' with out dads



Unfortunately, we couldn’t stay all afternoon. We hit the road and headed back to Maryland around 4 PM and had smooth sailing the whole way.

It’s always good to spend time with family- especially since we don’t get to see them all the time. We hope our dads had a very Happy Fathers’ Day!

No comments: